Note: PumpKIN is not software that is distributed or supported by Polycom or ScanSource Communications. It is simply a piece of open source software that we have found to work well for this process
Note: In this how-to guide, we utilize TFTP to load the firmware onto Polycom IP Phones. Polycom IP phones can download the firmware via FTP and HTTP as well.
Installation and Configuration of PumpKIN TFTP Server
- Download the latest version of PumpKIN TFTP server and install it. The download can be found at the address below.
- Accept all the defaults during the installation.
- After the installation is complete, launch PumpKIN and click on options.
- Make note of the TFTP Filesystem root. This is the folder where the firmware files will need to be stored.
- Set the Read Request Behavior to Give all files.
- Set the Write Request Behavior to Take all files.
- Click Apply and then Ok.
Download and Extract Firmware
- Download the latest Combined SIP version and BootROM files from Polycom’s Support site.
- Unzip the files from the SIP and BootRom zip files and then move them to the TFTP
filesystem root directory. See step 4.
Important: All individual files have to be in the root directory of the TFTP server.
Configure Polycom IP Phone
- On the Polycom phone press the Menu button and select Settings.
- Then select Advanced. The phone will prompt you for a password. The default password is 456.
- Scroll down and select Server Menu.
- Change Server Type to Trivial FTP.
- For Server Address enter the IP address of the computer running PumpKIN.
- Press the back button a couple of times until you get to the below screen.
- When you click Save Config the phone will automatically reboot then download and install the firmware during the boot process.